Interview with Assim Gupta CEO of Closeloop Technologies
CompaniesDekho team had the opportunity to interview Assim Gupta CEO of Closeloop Technologies and discuss his service offerings and how they anticipate positioning their organization in the future.
Assim is a strategic thinker who always asks “WHY are we doing this?” before rolling up his sleeves and digging in.
He is data-driven and highly analytical, yet his passion is working with teams to build unexpected, creative solutions that catapult companies forward.
Assim’s extensive experience includes 20+ years of software and tech development at top companies including Apple, Google, Oracle, VMware, Facebook, and LinkedIn.
Outside of Closeloop, Assim advises start-ups, reviews pitches, and enjoys educating audiences about the joys and pitfalls of software development.
Below, you can see the full Q&A and learn more about Assim Gupta CEO of Closeloop Technologies.
1. Please introduce your company and give a brief about your role within the company?
Closeloop Technologies is an 11-years old technology company headquartered in California, serving with the passion for helping businesses around the world to function better and more efficiently than ever before.
Besides helping clients streamline business operations through software consulting, we develop groundbreaking apps and software for businesses to grow by leaps and bounds with modern-age technologies and tools specifically put together to match client’s vision and business needs.
With cutting-edge tech tools available at reasonable prices, we assist startups in flourishing into fully-fledged corporations.
Our range of services also includes cloud services with tools such as AWS, Google Cloud, Microsoft Azure, and Kubernetes, mobile (iOS & Android) and web app design and development services, CRM and ERP development, and eCommerce development services.
I am Assim, the CEO of Closeloop Technologies, a Serial Entrepreneur, and an Investor.
I have been a member of Band of Angels and Keiretsu Capital for a few years. Currently, I am one of the panelists at PitchForce, a platform that assists startups in raising funds for their businesses.
Having worked with industry behemoths like Facebook, Oracle, Google, Microsoft, VMWare, SGI, and Essar for over two decades, I started my entrepreneurial journey with significant experience under my belt that not only helped me build a business from scratch but also helped me in making a fairly decent exit from one of my startup companies during my early entrepreneurship days.
At Closeloop, we aim to empower businesses around the world digitally, helping them streamline operations and function more efficiently than ever before. We also make products like mobile apps for our clients that help them excel on a larger scale.
2. What was the idea behind starting this organization?
Operating in the tech industry from the very beginning, I have always worked on making business simpler through modern-day tools and technologies.
With the same thought in mind, I, along with my team, built a company from scratch that delivers world-class products and provides services to streamline and scale business digitally.
3. What is your company’s business model–in-house team or third-party vendors/ outsourcing?
We have an in-house team for all kinds of services we provide, including custom software development, native & hybrid mobile app development, web app development, cloud solutions, eCommerce and CMS development, ERP/CRM solution development, wearable app development, data analytics, and others.
4. How is your business model beneficial from a value-addition perspective to the clients compared to other companies’ models?
We don’t rely on other vendors for the completion of projects we take up, which I believe is advantageous from the client’s perspective as all their queries can be addressed and resolved quickly without delays.
We have experts in different fields who are proficient in dealing with all sorts of challenges our clients face.
5. What industries do you generally cater to? Are your customers repetitive?
We have a diverse range of clientele hailing from industries like Finance, Recruitment, Lifestyle, Entertainment, Sports, Transportation, Banking, Healthcare, and Education, among others.
We maintain healthy relations with all our clients post-project delivery, that not only helps us gain more work from them but also earns us new referral customers.
6. Mention the objectives or the parameters critical in determining the time frame of developing a web app.
Mainly, the development time of any project depends on the client’s requirements and the complexity it brings to the table.
Hence, when working on a complex project, we set milestones and complete the project in phases keeping the client in the loop with transparent reporting and progress.
7. How do you assess the role of research agencies like Companies Dekho in bridging the gap between clients and service providers?
Platforms like CompaniesDekho are a boon to society. Not only do they help service seekers in finding a relevant vendor, but they also showcase a genuine image of the service provider, which users can rely upon.
8. How much effort, in terms of time, goes into developing the front end and back end of a web app?
Well, it is quite subjective and totally depends on the requirements of the project. An initial discussion with the client and their expectations from the software or app can better clarify the time required for building an app.
9. What are the key parameters to be considered before selecting the right platform for a web application?
Majorly we consider the following five factors:
- Requirements analysis
- Structure and design of the web app
- Development approach
- Tools and frameworks required
10. Which platform and technologies do you prefer to use in the development of your web apps?
Platforms and technologies are selected based on the requirements. However, we are proficient in PHP, React JS, Node.JS, Angular, Codeigniter, ASP.Net, Laravel, WordPress, and PWA (Progressive Web Apps).
11. Do you offer website design templates or customized website design, and do you have a responsive website design?
Yes, we do offer customized design services. Feel free to inquire about the same and visit our website for more information.
12. Which Content Management System do you prefer to use (WordPress, Joomla, Drupal, etc.)?
Each CMS has its pros and cons, and we prefer to use the one that suits the client’s needs. In some cases, WordPress does the job for us, while Drupal is picked over others in other cases. Likewise, with Joomla and several other content management systems.
13. Do you provide website maintenance services?
Yes, we do offer website management services. Feel free to get in touch with one of our associates through our website.
14. What are the key factors that you consider before deciding the cost of a web application?
I prefer to list them here:
- Type of web application (single-page application, multi-page application, or progressive web app)
- App’s complexity and overall scope of work (design, development, testing, maintenance, etc.)
- Tools required
- Technologies used
- Team composition (number of members, expertise, experience, etc.)
- Hiring model (fixed pricing model, dedicated hiring model, or Time And Material model)
15. What are the key factors that you consider before deciding the cost of a mobile application?
More or less, it is the same as mentioned above for a web application.
Here, the type of mobile application will be a native app or a hybrid (cross-platform) app. The rest of the heads remain the same.
16. What kind of payment structure do you follow to bill your clients? Is it Pay per Feature, Fixed Cost, or pay per Milestone (could be in phases, months, versions, etc.)
We usually charge an upfront fee for the commencement of the project, and then the cost of the development is divided into phases as per the milestones and deliverables mutually agreed upon between Closeloop Technologies and the client. However, we are open to discussing amendments as per the client’s wants.
17. What do you think are the biggest challenges your industry will face in the next 5 years?
The beauty of the tech industry is that it evolves really fast. Despite challenges and constraints, solutions are identified fairly quickly.
We, as a service provider, are proactive in dealing with challenges that might arise in the near future, including data protection, security threats, digital policies, staffing, and increasing technology dependency.
We need to be aware of the challenges and proactively look for solutions for the same to continuously excel and beat the competition.
18. How do you prefer to communicate with your team to assign responsibilities to them?
We have an in-house resource planning software that keeps track of projects and helps us manage the entire thing efficiently, keeping everyone on the same page, including the client.
19. What’s your biggest challenge when it comes to people management?
While we work in a cohesive environment and everyone has the freedom to talk, express, and contribute, there are times when different minds bring different perspectives to the table, and it becomes difficult to accept one and ridicule the other.
Striking a balance between the two is important so as to ensure performance isn’t compromised and the team remains motivated.
20. Describe a time you had to make a tough decision (e.g., budget cuts, organizational restructuring, market withdrawal, etc.). What did you do, and what was the result?
The most challenging times were in 2020 when the pandemic happened. It was difficult to operate without salary cuts, manage operations seamlessly, deliver projects on time when there was so much stress around, and, most importantly, keep everyone motivated and engaged.
We had to conduct internal audits and discuss with department heads and team managers to keep everything running smoothly and deliver as expected by the clients while also taking care of our employees and their family members who got infected.
We formulated a dedicated team that took care of difficult situations like oxygen cylinder requirements, oximeter demand, PPE kits, and other paraphernalia.
Besides providing equipment, we supported everyone emotionally and financially whenever required.
In the end, it all faded away, and we came out stronger as a team and as an organization. I want to thank each and every member of the Closeloop family for their relentless contribution to the company during those tough times and now.
21. As a CEO, can you please share some interesting stories, experiences, and projects that you are proud of?
Every project is unique, and so does the client, so there are endless stories associated with them.
While it is satisfying to see clients happy with our delivered product, it is happier to see them grow and excel with the product we built.
One such example is a finance application we developed for one of our US clients that assists homeowners in financing their renewable energy renovations.
It received funding of a whopping $1,000,000. Nothing better than seeing our clients grow, and it is one of the special memories that are close to my heart.